TIFTON -- The Tift County Recreation Department will get to show off its new aquatic facility to the entire state as it hosts the GRPA State Swim meet today and Saturday. Earlier this month the Tift County Aquatic Center played host to the GRPA District III meet.
Several hundred swimmers are expected for this weekend's event.
The meet begins with the opening ceremonies at 8:30 this morning. The preliminary swimming events will begin at 9 a.m. After the preliminary events are completed there will be a mandatory three-hour break before the finals will be held.
The same schedule will be followed Saturday.
The top eight times in each event will qualify for the finals. According to Tift County Recreation Department Director Craig Sowell, the awards will be presented at the conclusion of the meet each day.
Participating in the meet will be teams representing 31 agencies in the seven recreation districts, including swimmers from the Tiftarea YMCA Tidal Wave.
"We're excited about the chance to showcase Tifton and the new aquatic center," said Sowell.
NOTE: According to Sowell, while the meet is taking place, Second Street and Baldwin to Second Street and Victory will be closed to traffic.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Tifton police: Teen dies in shooting
- Tift reports virus death, more cases
- Tift County Schools issues mask policies
- Lady Panthers adopt new look in 2021
- Sparks child dies in ATV accident
- Berrien County man charged with murder
- Ex-prison guard pleads guilty to federal charges
- Georgia reports 7,500 new virus cases in week
- Central Jewelry celebrates reopening
- Automated Self Storage cuts ribbon