TIFTON -- Playing against Lowndes in the last regular season home match of the season, the news was not good for the homestanding Tift County Blue Devils and Lady Devils as they were swept by the Vikings and Vikettes Friday. The Devils were beaten by a 5-0 score, while the Lady Devils were defeated 3-2.
Tift's only two wins on the day came from the Lady Devils in the doubles matches.
Rachel Lawler and Anna Cohen won 6-3, 6-3 at No. 1, while Amanda Lawler and Rachel Samples got a 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 2.
The girls match was close as Tift's Leah Lamb fell at No. 3 singles by a 6-4, 2-6, 3-6 score.
John Bowen's performance at No. 2 singles was as close as the Devils could get to a victory. Bowen fell in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 1-6.
Tift did get two junior varsity victories.
The doubles team of Anna Sowell and Mary Crumley won 9-7, while the team of Melissa Baxter and Lindsey Ellis got an 8-6 victory.
The Lady Devils and Devils will close out their regular season play tomorrow at Colquitt County.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Adel teen launches live bait vending machine
- Rare indigo snake killed; authorities seek suspect
- Protestors call for closing Irwin County Detention Center
- Rutland Farms to host fishing tournament
- Tiftarea names basketball court for Coach Amy Strenth
- Elite eight-bound Devils do it again, defeat North Paulding
- Chaney, Burgess, Conner win big honors in All-Region awards
- Auto Club helps child with leukemia
- Tift reports one virus death this weekend
- Tift takes on Berkmar in semis shot
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
LENOX [mdash] Mrs. Thelma A. Trent, 87, of Lenox, Georgia, passed away on Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at Tift Regional Medical Center. She was born in Adel, Georgia to Benjamin S. Hicks and Ida Mae Mathis Hicks. She lived her entire life in Georgia and the past 25 years in Lenox. Mrs. Trent…