TIFTON -- A 34-year-old woman described as an innocent bystander was shot in the upper abdomen Sunday evening on Old Omega Road near Captain's Point Trailer Park. Also, two men were cut with knives prior to her shooting.
Cherie Rogers, 34, 310 Old Omega Road, Lot A-1, was in the intensive care unit of Tift Regional Medical Center Monday. The suspect who shot her remains at large, but local investigators expect an arrest soon.
Richard Fudge, 32, 330 Old Omega Road, Lot 2 and Christopher Fudge, 24, 330 Old Omega Road, Lot 9, were treated and released after being cut with a knife. Two men suspected of their assaults also remain at large.
Det. Melissa Wood of the Tifton Police Department said Monday that the cluster of events began at 7 p.m. when two men who had borrowed another man's Cadillac returned to the vehicle's owner and reported that shots had been fired at the vehicle.
"The owner and several more people jumped in the Cadillac and returned to the area of the shooting," said Wood.
Wood said the Fudges were already at the location where the shots were reported fired. When the Cadillac stopped, both Fudges were cut.
"During the physical altercation, shots were fired and Rogers was struck," Wood said.
Wood said it was unclear at this time what type of weapon fired the bullets that struck Rogers. She said a large group of local residents had gathered at the scene of the incident when officers arrived.
To contact reporter Angie Thompson, call 382-4321, ext. 208.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- S.Ga. drug bust nets Tift suspect
- Tift schools extend yellow designation
- Gold Star marker placed in Veteran's Park
- Tift reports 16 new COVID-19 cases Sunday
- Tift reports 16 new COVID-19 cases Saturday
- Panthers rally to defeat Brookwood
- Blue Devils split at Camden County
- Parsing high crimes and misdemeanors: Experts offer insights into impeachment
- McDaniel house named Beauty Spot winner
- Tift reports 3 COVID-19 deaths in two-day period
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.