TIFTON -- A Tifton teen-ager injured in a wreck Tuesday morning on U.S. Highway 82 East died Wednesday afternoon at the Medical Center of Central Georgia in Macon.
Amy Leshea Roberts, 18, of Tifton, was transported to Tift Regional Medical Center and then to the Macon hospital after the collision that sent her Volkswagen Beetle into oncoming traffic and into the path of a tractor-trailer rig.
Her passenger, Orlando Richardson, 27, also of Tifton, remains in critical condition in the Medical Center of Central Georgia's Neuro-Intensive Care Unit.
Tift County Coroner Joe Beaumont said Roberts was pronounced dead shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Surgical Trauma Intensive Care Unit in Macon.
A family spokesman said Wednesday afternoon that Roberts died shortly after the family gave word to take her off a respirator. According to the relative, Roberts was an organ donor.
Witnesses and officials with the Georgia State Patrol said Roberts was traveling east on U.S. Highway 82 in the left lane when she swerved into the path of a Chevy Impala. The impact sent the Beetle north across the highway and into the path of a tractor-trailer rig traveling west.
Bowen-Donaldson Home for Funerals is in charge of Roberts' funeral arrangements. Those arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Mayor reviews Tifton child deaths
- City preps for new garbage company
- Gatehouse luxury apartments open downtown
- Georgia Museum of Agriculture copes with COVID
- Tift reports 46 new COVID-19 cases in three-day period
- GBI: Nashville shooting victim's fatal wound self-inflicted
- Tift reports seven new COVID-19 cases Sunday
- Rashod Bateman opts out again at Minnesota
- ABAC prepares for Giving Tuesday
- Lady Devils roll past Bainbridge
Joseph "Scott" Lindsey, 56, of the West Berrien Community passed away Saturday, November 21, 2020, at Memorial Satilla Health in Waycross. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Bowen-Donaldson Home for Funerals.