TIFTON - A local teen won top honors at the American Legion's state oratorical contest last week in Macon and is headed for the national competition.
Tim Harris, 18, won the Tift County contest Feb. 8 and moved on to the District competition in Valdosta Feb. 15 for an area including Tifton, Colquitt County, Thomasville, Douglas and Ben Hill County. After winning that, he advanced to the area contest, which encompasses the Tifton district as well as South Georgia from the Alabama state line to the Florida line, including Cordele, Americus and Columbus.
Harris has already won about $1,300 in prize money and could receive up to $18,000 if he wins at the national contest, which will be held the second weekend in April in Indianapolis, Ind.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Tifton man gets prison for bank robbery
- Film industry boon for Tift tourism
- Tifton Foodie schedules restaurant job fair
- SEAGLE: Ornamental grasses add color, form in curb appeal
- Gov. Kemp touts cotton, election law
- Lowndes defeats Tift in doubleheader, clinches region
- Legendary basketball coach Cliff Ranew dies
- Tift reports one virus case
- Tift reports one virus death
- Blue Devils keep going, defeat Lee 5-1
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
REDDING [mdash] Charles Emory Parrish, age 79, passed away peacefully on October 1, 2020 with his daughter by his side. He was born in Florida and grew up in Tifton, Georgia to Lois and Tom Parrish. He joined the Navy in 1964. During his service he earned four medals and was deployed to Viet…