CORDELE -- When Mitchell Lee Weldon, 26, of Omega and Ricky King, 39, of Tifton were pulled over on I-75 late Wednesday night, it wasn't for a routine drug stop.
"It was more of an investigation," said Crisp County Sheriff Donnie Haralson.
Weldon and King were suspects in a case the Tift County Sheriff's Department drug squad was working on. The drug squad alerted both the deputies with the Crisp County Sheriff's Department and agents with the Mid-South Narcotics Task Force that the two men were traveling to the Crisp County area.
The suspects got as far as the 99 mile marker near the Hwy. 300 exit before they were pulled over.
"It was a good place to take 'em down," Haralson said.
Weldon and King were charged with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute, Commander Jeff Youngblood of the Mid-South Narcotics Task Force said in a press release. Weldon, who was driving, gave deputies consent to search the vehicle.
They found approximately seven pounds of marijuana concealed inside -- an approximate street value of $7,000, the press release said.
Both King and Weldon are currently being held at the Crisp County Detention Center awaiting bond hearings.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Film industry boon for Tift tourism
- COVID-19 cases still on the rise statewide
- Gov. Kemp touts cotton, election law
- First honorary street name change filed
- County to review road grant, more at meeting
- Tift virus numbers unchanged Wednesday
- SEAGLE: Ornamental grasses add color, form in curb appeal
- VSU grant initiates opioid addiction project
- Tift reports COVID-19-related death
- Pierce scores late to defeat Tift County
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.