TIFTON - A Florida man died Saturday in Tifton after being hit by a car on a busy highway.
Tifton Police Department reports said Olivio Vasquez, 35, of Labelle, Fla., was killed when he was struck just before 6 p.m. in the 200 block of West Seventh Street (U.S. Highway 82).
The reporting officer said he found Vazquez lying in the road with massive head injuries. The car's driver, Allene Tomlin, 1494 Shanna Drive, told police she was traveling eastbound on Highway 82 approaching Ridge Avenue and had a green light when she noticed Vasquez sitting on the curb.
She said as she approached Vasquez, he lunged into the path of her vehicle without standing, striking the front right quarter panel of her Cadillac Sedan de Ville in front of the tire.
Vasquez' body was identified by an acquaintance, Ramiro Martinez, who told police Vasquez had been drinking heavily and talking about committing suicide.
Tift County Assistant Coroner Mike Beaumont said the incident is under investigation and has not been ruled a suicide. "We're waiting until we get back the results of the blood alcohol tests before we rule on the manner of death," said Beaumont.
To contact city editor Florence Rankin, call 382-4321, ext. 209.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
- Film industry boon for Tift tourism
- COVID-19 cases still on the rise statewide
- Gov. Kemp touts cotton, election law
- First honorary street name change filed
- County to review road grant, more at meeting
- Tift virus numbers unchanged Wednesday
- SEAGLE: Ornamental grasses add color, form in curb appeal
- VSU grant initiates opioid addiction project
- Tift reports COVID-19-related death
- Pierce scores late to defeat Tift County
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.