TIFTON, Ga. — Residents of one wing of Legacy Village, located on Whiddon Mill Road, were evacuated early Friday morning from the facility after a fire broke out in one room, according to a report from the Tifton Fire Department.

According to the report, the alarm went out at 5:19 a.m. and firefighters were on scene within three minutes, getting control of the fire by 6:02 a.m.

The report states that the fire was contained to one room of the building due to the fire suppression system being activated and was extinguished by the time they arrived.

That one room received significant fire and water damage, with light heat damage in the hallway near the room and light smoke damage and water damage to the entire wing.

The report states that the fire department determined the cause of the fire to be a cigarette lighter igniting a upholstered recliner. The resident of the room was taken to the hospital for injuries sustained in evacuating the room. It was the only injury reported.

React to this story:

0
0
2
2
1

Recommended for you