Tifton Gazette


January 2, 2014

Robbery report leads to arrests on other counts

TIFTON — A local man has been arrested after he robbed a woman in the Church’s Chicken parking lot. He’s also being charged with theft by taking in connection to other recent incidents.

According to an incident report filed at the Tifton Police Department by officer Freddy Amaya, a 32-year-old woman from Fitzgerald reported Tuesday that at 3:47 p.m., she was in the area of the Lil’ Pantry on North Tift Avenue when a heavyset black male with tattoos on his face and forehead wearing a black sweater, blue pants and a hood waved her down and asked for a ride to Church’s Chicken, along with his wife due to her being pregnant.

She said the subject told her that he worked for J.B. Hunt and his truck was parked in the Church’s Chicken parking lot and that they didn’t want to walk a long distance. She described the subject’s wife as being a heavyset white female with blond hair. A description of the couple was given to responding officers and a direction of travel.

The woman reported that she gave the two subjects a ride. The male sat in the front and the female sat in the back. She said she drove to Church’s Chicken and pulled into the front parking lot. The female exited the car. The male then grabbed her by the hair and demanded money. He also made the statement, “Don’t make me use this.”

The woman said she didn’t see a gun but believed he had one. At that time, her purse was sitting in the center console, so she grabbed it and held it open. She said the subject went through the purse and took $50. He then insisted that she had more than that and demanded that she open her trunk.

The woman reported that she exited the vehicle with the subject and opened the trunk. The subject went through the trunk and then calmly walked off with the female. The woman got back into her car and saw both subjects running behind the restaurant.

Amaya reported that other officers were notified and responded to the scene. Shortly after, Sgt. Dorminey McCrae located the subjects walking north on Pearson Lane at its intersection with Highway 82.

McCrae reported that due to the victim’s report of the male offender possibly having a gun, he stopped both subjects on the sidewalk at gunpoint. He ordered them to the ground, which they complied, and notified dispatch and other units of the situation. Both subjects were placed in handcuffs and transported to the TPD for further investigation into the matter.

The male offender, Marcus Torrez Banks, 39, of Ty Ty, has been charged with robbery by intimidation in this case. McCrae said the female subject isn’t being charged.

Also, Banks is being charged with theft by taking in connection to the incident that occurred Dec. 25 when a man and woman reported that they were at the Family Dollar on Seventh Street when they were confronted by a man who told them that he was a truck driver and could get cartons of cigarettes for $10 at the Church’s Chicken. They had reported that they ended up giving the subject $80.

Banks is being charged with another count of theft by taking in connection to an incident that occurred Monday. A 50-year-old woman at Kunes Law Firm on East Second Street reported that Banks came into the office to report that he needed representation for jumping on someone and stabbing the subject twice after seeing him beat a female at a convenience store a couple of weeks ago.

After speaking to the attorney, Banks began to leave the office. Before walking out, he said he worked for J.B. Hunt trucking company and had some cartons of cigarettes that had been refused. He said he had been told not to bring them back. The woman reported that Banks then offered to sell her some at $60 for 15 cartons. She said she contacted a friend of hers to see if she would be interested. Both she and her friend gave Banks money for the purchase of cigarettes.

After receiving the money, Banks said he would be back with the cartons, as well as money to put down for the attorney fees. The woman reported that he left and didn’t return. She and her friend became suspicious and thought that they may have been scammed. They attempted to contact Banks, but the number he gave was fake. They also went to where he resides but found out that he does not live at that address anymore.

The women were able to get a real phone number from the residents and attempted to contact Banks again, but he didn’t answer. They met with an officer to attempt to locate Banks but were unable to make contact with him. The women had given Banks a total of $300.

McCrae said Banks is under investigation in connection to other incidents also.

To contact reporter Latasha Ford, call 382-4321.

Text Only
Local News

Local Sports
Police Reports
Your Agenda
AP Video
House Ads
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Seasonal Content
Business Marquee
Weather Radar
Sen. Chambliss addresses farm bill in Tifton
Riding the Steam Train at Ga. Museum of Agriculture
Nature's Beauty in a Tifton parking lot
Peanut Prices Remain Strong