Today kicks off the 36th annual 2014 Tift County Older Americans Month — "Springtime for the Young at Heart."
Several events are scheduled throughout this month, with the Older Americans Month kick-off luncheon and presentation of the George A. Wright Memorial Award being held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, located at 404 Love Ave. (use rear side lot on Fourth Street).
Complimentary lunch will be served by Southern Caterer's, and Faithful Servants will provide music. Door prizes will be awarded to some lucky attendees. Contact Celeste McNeil at 382-8655 for more information.
The event is sponsored by Bradley Place, Southern Home Medical, Heart and Hands Private Home Care, Southern Caterer's, Sylvia Barr Center-Tift Regional Health System, South Georgia Bank, Halcyon Hospice, Bowen-Donaldson Home for Funerals, Georgia Sports Medicine, Tift County Recreation Department, Council of Garden Clubs and FBC.
Other events scheduled are:
- May 7: Spring Bingo at 3 p.m at Cypress Pond Assisted Living, 15 Kent Road. Come out and enjoy an afternoon of prizes, fun and snacks while playing Bingo. Call 382-3333 for more information. Cypress Pond is sponsoring this event.
- May 8: Buy one get one free on clothing for seniors age 55 and over from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Salvation Army Tifton Service Center on Highway 82 East. Call 386-1503 for more information. The Salvation Army Tifton Service Center is sponsoring this event.
Also, at 11:45 a.m., the One Day Club-FBC Tifton will be held at the FBC Family Life Center. This is a recurring event — September/December and January-May each year. Lunch is $6 per plate. Program and craft show for the month of May. The program will be senior adult fire prevention with an out of town speaker. The FBC Family Life Center is sponsoring this event.
- May 12: Enjoy free grilled hot dogs, entertainment, fellowship and door prizes from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center on Second Street. Call 382-1791 or 382-3333 for more information. Cypress Pond, Maple Court and Cypress Pond at Home are sponsoring this event.
- May 14: Brunch and pain management seminar from 10 to 11 a.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center. Southern Care Assisted Living will sponsor brunch and a speaking session on pain management by Optim Orthopedics (Dr. Aimee Widner, M.D.). Call Courtney Malott at 386-2273 for more information.
- May 15: Roxie Price with the Tift County Extension Office will present a program at 10:30 a.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center on ideas for preparing healthy meals for one or two people. Attendees will receive a small cookbook with great ideas to get them started with smaller portions. A little planning goes a long way. The Tift County Extension Office is sponsoring this event.
- May 17: Community Health Fair from 9 a.m. to noon at the TCRD gym on Victory Drive. Come out and see what services are offered in Tift County. Screenings will be done for blood pressure, blood sugar, total cholesterol, HDL and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides for the first 50 people that morning. Anyone wanting to be screened will need to come fasting for the best results. The Tiftarea Greenway Association will also be assisting with a bike rodeo and bicycle safety information, along with several street activities. This event is free to the public. Tift Regional Medical Center, TCRD, Tift County, TCPS Disability Fair and the Tiftarea Greenway Association are sponsoring this event.
- May 22: Older American picnic and program for seniors from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the TCRD gym. Come out for a free lunch, fun, fellowship and some great information. United Hospice and Pruitt Healthcare of Ashburn will provide an educational session. Patty Hornbuckle Dunn (Terra Cotta from Omega) will be demonstrating a fairy garden and also giving a short presentation. Products and plants will be for sale. Call 382-3262 for more information. The TCRD and United Hospice and Pruitt Healthcare of Ashburn are sponsoring this event.
- May 23: Container gardening class at 10:30 a.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center. Growing and maintaining annuals and perennials for containers and small spaces. The UGA Dougherty County and Tift County Cooperative Extension are sponsoring this event.
- May 27: Exercise and falls at 9 a.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center. Classes are designed to help adults maintain their cardiovascular health, strength and flexibility. The city of Tifton is sponsoring this event.
Also, at 3 p.m., the Butterbean Auction will be held at Maple Court. This is a free event. Come and enjoy their Butterbean Auction with their favorite "Aunt." There will be lots of items to bid on; butterbeans are used to bid. There will be homemade ice cream following the auction. Come out and fellowship with other adults. Maple Court Senior Residence is sponsoring this event.
- May 28: Breakfast fellowship at 9 a.m. at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center with Mitch and Pat Williams of the Diamonds. The senior center is sponsoring this event.
Recurring events are senior exercise classes from 9 to 10 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Leroy Rogers Senior Center and the Saints exercise class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at the FBC Family Life Center.
For more information about the activities this month, call the TCRD at 382-3262 or the Leroy Rogers Senior Center at 391-3956.
To contact reporter Latasha Ford, call 382-4321.