As the colder winter months approach, the Department of Human Services will once again help Georgians struggling to keep up with the cost of heating their homes.
Tift CSBG Coordinator Mary Stanley provided The Tifton Gazette with a public service announcement that states DHS’ Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program will award an additional $1,158,388 to Coastal Plain Area Economic Opportunity Authority Inc. located in Valdosta.
Beginning Jan. 16, Coastal Plain Area Economic Opportunity Authority Inc. will be offering heating assistance to the general public. In most cases, payments are made directly to the home energy supplier for gas, electricity, propane gas, wood, coal or kerosene.
To participate in the program, the family must meet a yearly income equal to or less than 60 percent of the state median income. For a one-person household, that would be $21,029; for two people, $27,500; for three people, $33,970; for four people, $40,441; for five people, $46,912; for six people, $53,382; for seven people, $54,595; and for eight people, $55,809. For each additional person, add $1,213 to the annual income.
The family must bring their most recent fuel or utility bill or statement of service from their provider, state issued picture ID (must be current), Social Security cards and proof of income for all household members. This may be paycheck stubs, a letter granting public assistance, Social Security or unemployment benefits.
Assistance will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For further information, contact your local Community Services Center at the following numbers:
• Ben Hill County CSC, 116 N. Johnston St., Fitzgerald - 426-5177
• Berrien County CSC, 402 Hazel Ave., Nashville - 686-7871
• Brooks County CSC, 400 Courtland Ave., Quitman - 263-7818
• Cook County CSC, 303 S. College St., Sparks - 549-8780
• Echols County CSC, 170 Church of God St., Statenville - 559-3472
• Irwin County CSC, 311 Vo Tech Road, Ocilla - 468-5186
• Lanier County CSC, 104 S. Oak St., Lakeland - 482-3435
• Lowndes County CSC, 900 S. Troupe St., Valdosta - 242-8814
• Tift County CSC, 2737 S. Central Ave., Suite 4, Tifton - 382-2960
• Turner County CSC, 124 E. College St., Ashburn - 567-2844