Tifton Gazette


December 21, 2013

Man flees from police

TIFTON —  A Tifton man was arrested Tuesday for reckless driving, among other charges, after he fled from police.

According to an incident report filed at the Tifton Police Department, officer Terry McStott reported that at 2:29 a.m., he observed a green 1995 Chevrolet Camaro, driven by 24-year-old Trentavious Jerrod Graddic of Tifton, going eastbound on Eighth Street from Virginia Avenue at a high rate of speed. He attempted to catch up to the vehicle to determine a speed, at which time Graddic made a right turn onto Baldwin heading south.

McStott said he activated his lights and tried to catch up to the vehicle. As he turned onto Baldwin, he observed Graddic run the stop sign at Sixth Street and Baldwin and continue south on Dixie Avenue in the left lane. He said as he gained on the vehicle, he observed the brake lights come one and the driver slowed down before he stopped the car at Fourth Street and Dixie Avenue and jumped from the vehicle, running around the front of it.

McStott reported that he radioed dispatch of the stop and the driver bailing out of the vehicle, which continued to roll south, crossing Fourth Street and into the trees before coming to a stop. He observed Graddic run behind a location in the 700 block of Fourth Street. He radioed other units of his last known location. He then backed up his patrol car to see if anyone else was inside of the vehicle that Graddic had bailed out of.

McStott said as he was backing up, he saw Graddic who upon seeing him fled to the north toward Eighth Street Middle School. A physical and clothing description was given out to all units. Two Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College police officers observed Graddic running north, and with the assistance of a Tift County deputy and officer, Graddic was captured and taken into custody. He was transported to the Tift County Jail.

Graddic was charged with driving with a suspended or revoked license (fourth offense), reckless driving, duty of driver to stop at or return to the scene of an accident and operating a motor vehicle with suspended registration.

In another matter, a man from Lenoir City, Tenn. was arrested Wednesday for DUI and other charges.

Officer Bryan Rhodes reported that shortly before 9 p.m., he was sent to an accident at Brumby Way and Main Street on the railroad tracks. When he arrived, Sgt. David Gay was standing by with the driver, 43-year-old Brett Alan Marshall of Lenoir City, Tenn.

Marshall first said his vehicle had been “kind of” stolen, but then went on to say that his son was driving. Rhodes said Marshall, however, had the keys to the vehicle on his person. He could smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from his breath. Marshall was also swaying and had slurred speech and watery and glazed eyes.

Rhodes reported that he asked Marshall how much alcohol did he have to drink, which he replied that he had two beers. When asked how big the beers were, Marshall said they were normal size. He consented to taking a field sobriety test. Rhodes said he checked him on the Alco-Sensor but could only get a partial sample because he didn’t follow directions. The partial sample showed positive for alcohol. He didn’t perform any other field sobriety test because of the terrain around the incident.

A witness reported that she was inside a local restaurant working when she heard a loud noise outside the business. When she went to see what it was, she saw a vehicle on the railroad tracks. She said a white male wearing a dark shirt and jeans and around 6-feet tall got out of the vehicle from the driver’s side and ran inside a nearby bar. She pointed out that Marshall was the driver.

Marshall was then arrested. Rhodes reported that he refused to take the state’s breath test. He said after investigation, it appeared that Marshall was traveling north on Main Street when he turned right onto the railroad tracks. It appeared that he was trying to turn onto Brumby Way but turned too soon. There was no damage to his vehicle or the railroad tracks. Marshall was charged with DUI/alcohol, failure to maintain lane and improper stopping on roadway.

Also, Gay reported Tuesday afternoon that he observed 66-year-old Bobby Lee Cannon of Tifton walking on Commerce Way. Cannon then walked to the side of a building and began to unzip his pants. Gay said he yelled to the subject and told him not to expose himself in public.

He reported that Cannon said OK and walked off. He circled around the block and as he came south on Commerce Way, he observed Cannon walking north on the sidewalk with his genital in his hand and urinating on the sidewalk. While Cannon was walking, several cars drove by, also seeing what he was doing. When Gay asked him what he was doing, he mumbled something. His speech was very slurred, his eyes were bloodshot and he smelled strongly of an alcoholic beverage, Gay reported. Cannon was arrested and charged with public drunkenness.

A man reported Wednesday that a male subject came into his store Dec. 2 with a United States Treasury check for the amount of $790. He reported that the subject said the name on the check was his grandfather, who was very sick, so he came to cash the check on his behalf. He said the check was endorsed by the subject and the person whose name was on the check, so he cashed it.

The man reported that on Wednesday, he received information from the United States Treasury that the person’s name on the check was deceased and they could not honor the check because of possible fraud.

In other unrelated cases:

• A woman who lives in the 100 block of East 13th Street reported Tuesday that someone broke into her home and stole a 32-inch LG LED television. She reported that she had just purchased the television the day before. The report states that there were marks on the back door as if someone had used a tool to pry the door open.

• A woman who lives in the 400 block of Dixie Avenue reported Wednesday that when she returned to her apartment, she found the back two window screens damaged. It appeared that someone attempted to pry them off to gain entry but was unsuccessful.

• A man who lives in the 100 block of Oakridge Church Road reported Monday that someone attempted to gain entry into his residence and damaged his door in the process.

• A woman who lives in the 1300 block of Bellview Avenue reported Wednesday that someone came onto her property and stole a white, plastic table and pink, plastic chair. She said this is the fourth time the items have gone missing.

To contact reporter Latasha Ford, call 382-4321.

Text Only
Local News

Local Sports
Police Reports
Your Agenda
AP Video
Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case Author Gabriel Garcia Marquez Dead at 87 Beau Biden Plans 2016 Run for Del. Governor Chelsea Clinton Is Pregnant Horseless Carriage Introduced at NY Auto Show Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing
House Ads
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Seasonal Content
Business Marquee
Weather Radar
Sen. Chambliss addresses farm bill in Tifton
Riding the Steam Train at Ga. Museum of Agriculture
Nature's Beauty in a Tifton parking lot
Peanut Prices Remain Strong