In support of Breast Cancer Awareness for the month of October, the Tifton-Tift County Main Street Program and Tifton Merchants Association is “painting the town pink” by hosting the first “Paint the Town Pink: Party with a Purpose” event, which will be an annual celebration.
Main Street’s Economic Development Director Lequrica Gaskins said, “October is dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness and we will join in the efforts of honoring those who have experienced cancer, elevating cancer awareness and enhancing cancer care services within our community.”
Gaskins said Downtown Tifton will be illuminated with pink lights to honor and remember those who have been impacted by cancer.
The following list of events are planned for the month of October beginning Saturday at various locations:
• Oct. 1-31 - The Pineapple Post is having a Breast Cancer Awareness sale with 100 percent of any Breast Cancer Awareness items sold going to support the organization.
• Oct. 1 - Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation’s Survivors Celebration from 10 a.m. to noon at Masonic Lodge on Kennedy Road.
• Oct. 7 - Health fair from 9 to 11 a.m. at Leroy Rogers Senior Center and Concert in the Gardens at noon.
• Oct. 8 - “Pink” luncheon and presentation at noon at Three Graces at the Lankford Manor featuring Diane Bruno, senior partner at Una Vita-US and Italy. She will be speaking on women’s health issues and sustainable health practices. Tickets are $15 in advance, which includes luncheon and pink champagne cocktails. All proceeds will benefit local Breast Cancer Awareness.
There will also be a “Downtown Party with a Purpose” from 5 to 9 p.m. at Cato Knight Parking Lot. At 6:45 p.m., there will be a prayer and release of balloons at Veterans Memorial Park. Downtown merchants will be open late offering promotions to benefit local breast cancer awareness. In addition, there will be an antique car show, live entertainment with Tift County High School Jazz Band, food vendors, a decorated bra contest, children's events and more.
The theater will open from 5 to 9 p.m. with retro dance music, hot popcorn and tours.
• Oct. 9 - Sunday buffet at Harper’s in the Myon. There will be musical entertainment in Myon Courtyard and the dining room. Also, water in the Myon fountain will be pink. All female guests will receive a pink carnation and educational material on Breast Cancer Awareness. A hefty portion of proceeds will benefit Breast Cancer Awareness.
• Oct. 11 - Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation’s live auction at 7 p.m. at Elks Lodge. Funds are being raised to help local survivors in need.
• Oct. 14 - Concert in the Gardens at noon and gospel sing featuring the Faithful Servants at 7 p.m. at Tift Theatre.
• Oct. 20 - Fashion show featuring downtown shops at 7 p.m. at Tift Theatre. Twenty percent of proceeds will benefit Breast Cancer Awareness.
• Oct. 21 - Concert in the Gardens at noon.
• Oct. 22 - The Pineapple Post Pink Party will be going all day. 10 percent of all sales will go to Breast Cancer Awareness. Pink petit fours and pink lemonade will also be served all day. Later that night, there will be a concert with “Doctor, Doctor” from 8 to 10 p.m. at Tift Theatre.
• Oct. 27 - Breast Cancer Awareness lecture by Debra Hardeman at 6 p.m. at the University of Georgia Tifton Campus. This event is hosted by Tift Regional Medical Center. It’s free and open to the public. A complimentary meal will be provided. Seating is limited, therefore, you will have to register by calling 353-6318 or by visiting the calendar of events at www.tiftregional.com.
• Oct. 28 - Concert in the Gardens at noon.
For more information, contact Gaskins at the Main Street office at 391-3966.
To contact reporter Latasha Everson, call 382-4321.